Saturday 9 February 2013

Birds of a Feather . . . Well kind of!

I'm LOVING Pinterest these days - I start browsing around and (you know how it works) the next thing you know I've found myself on someone else's blog . . .  and then someone else's . . . This project was no exception - Thanks to Spool Sewing!

While I found the pattern to be easy to assemble after cutting (9 of them) I later found some better assembly instructions on someone else's blog that were a bit more clear - I actually started out sewing them by hand and thought . . . I don't think so . . . I'll be here for 9 days at this rate with my sore hands . . . and sewed the rest by machine.  There was a bit of hand stitching after they were stuffed and I embellished them with a simple blanket stitch on the ends to make them appear a bit more like feathers but I think they turned out beautifully! 

Note I refer to the sewing machine as The Beast - she's a Singer that is industrial enough to handle leather but gentle enough for bridal netting!

Here are simple steps!
 
Supplies six co-ordinated pieces of fabric, two lamp shades (to be deconstructed), pearl beads for eyes and embroidery cotton for tails
(including The Beast not shown here)


Match up the Dots and pin body together



Sew from top of head to breast

Snip off the inside of the beak

Open up the top and add contrasting colour - pin if you wish

After sewing both sides (leaving the tail end open turn right side out - I used a spoon because my fingers weren't long enough)

Pull the beak out with a large pin



Deconstruct the lamp shades


Look at all the pretty birds all lined up!

Supplies - glue gun, wire and sisal twine


Wrap twine around the frame of both deconstructed lamp shades


Thread a piece of wire through the bottom of the Bird to attach to deconstructed lamp shades

Cut strips of left over fabric sew together then turn right side out and cover chains (left over from the basement ceiling fixture)
Now I just have to figure out where to hang them! here they are on the pergola on the front deck and on a hanging basket hanger on the front of the house. I LOVE THEM














TOTAL COST:  Fabric and stuffing $22.00; Lamp Shades $5.00; Sisal String - Free; Chain - Free
TOTAL TIME:  A LOT - I quit counting after four hours! wrapping the deconstructed lamp shades with the sisal string was over two hours in itself so I'd suggest a wider sisal if you wanted to attempt this project (way easier on your hands).

After showing them to my sister she sat down at The Beast a few days later and here are hers!

Outside on her front step


Also outside on her daughter's window box (sorry don't know how to make it upright)







If you want to make these yourself, visit +Spoolsew for the free pattern!

No comments:

Post a Comment