Sunday 14 July 2013

A throwback to the past . . .

MANY years ago, and I mean many . . .  my sister and I made the "Three Kings" . . . they were these awesome kneeling and gift offering kings that would have been seen when Christ was born . . . they were made out of various types of fabrics and the faces and hands were purchased at a craft store . . . in any event after they were made you spray painted them with gold spray paint and they were stunning!  I had them in my house for a long time until I moved from Calgary to Edmonton and someone purchased them at a yard sale I had before I boxed up my belongings and headed "home".

I love it when my brother-in-law is out of town and I get to spend quality time with my sister.  She picked me up  yesterday after her work day, we drove out to the airport to get his truck and drove back to her place and drank copious amounts of wine (like we usually do when we are together) and talked about our plan for Sunday . . . she had an idea to make these shadow box/three-D floral pictures out of silk flowers, spray paint them with white craft paint and Bob's yer Uncle!

So we headed out to the Dollar Store for the silk flowers ($11.25), Home Depot for the paint ($6.99) and Michaels Craft Store for the shadow boxes ($59.99) and here are the steps and results.  So while this wasn't an inexpensive project, it could have been if we had of used smaller shadow boxes but the ones chosen were the ones she wanted.

Shopping for supplies in the Dollar Store

Supplies we used: Shadow boxes, spray paint (flat/matt white), silk flowers and straight pins)

We removed all of the flowers, leaves, feathers off of the large stems)

We laid everything down first to make sure we liked what they looked like

Then pinned down all of the flowers etc. (underneath) so you couldn't see the pins
Stood them up to ensure nothing would fall off

Went outside and spray painted everything

Blew them dry with the hair dryer because we couldn't wait

And then put them in the frames - I made the one on the left, Pauly made
the one on the right but they will take the trip to their new home in Radium soon!
TOTAL COST:  $78.00
TOTAL TIME:  45 MINUTES (EXCLUDING SHOPPING TIME)

No comments:

Post a Comment