Tuesday 17 May 2016

Reinvented Ottoman

I love slipcovering ottomans and completely taking them apart and redoing them for that matter. Heck I love upholstering small projects (big ones too but I'll stick to this for now). A few months ago my sister walked up to my house with (from what I could see) a stack of beautiful beaded and sequined fabric. I was so excited - I thought they were for ME! I was wrong. She was helping one of her clients furnish a new build and the client has recently returned from India. She had purchased all of the pillow cases (16" X 16") and wanted me to create something . . . ok can I have something to go on ? ? ?





I stared at the fabric for about a week and decided to call the client to see what her wishes were. One of the nicest people to talk to even though I had never met her and after brainstorming with her we came up with a couple of ideas but we decided we should meet at the new build before going ahead.

Stencil placement (very random)
So we set a date and the three of us met up. What a beautiful area, a kind hearted and lovely client and after a very animated conversation between the three of us we decided to take 7 of the pillow cases and use them in her basement bedroom, and use the rest (6 for recovering an ottoman) and the balance to cover a 7' X 30" X 4" frame and insert a mirror behind it.



Original Specimen
Here's the before and after of the covered ottoman - I actually sewed and stapled the entire thing down before dismantled everything I had just done (except for the main foam part), and then reupholstered it (including stapling it down with my handy dandy compressor and stapler). It's what happens sometimes - I am compelled to make as perfect as I can - I always want to do my best . . . and I LOVE doing things twice . . . NOT . . . but I do LOVE the finished product. The legs were painted by mixing silver and black as the base, stenciling them in gold and varnishing them with a high gloss varnish.





NEXT . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment