Saturday 11 May 2013

A new condo . . . some more chairs . . .

I mentioned in a former blog (about chairs) that my sister and her hubby purchased a condo in Radium . . . she called one day to ask if I had anything I wanted to contribute to the cause . . . I have a bunch of chairs ? ? ? OK she's game but after looking at them she says . . . what if we slipcovered them . . . OK now I'm game!

I've had some turquoise blue (what I call) "socks" that I've used in my garden on chairs for the last 8 years . . . the last time I used them at a party when I lived in Calgary a friend of mine put one on and wore it as a dress - I have the picture to prove it but she'd be mortified if I posted it so we'll just leave that to your imagination . . . but here's what it looks like on the chairs I'm going to slipcover for the Condo!


and here's what the chairs looked like before the "sock"


I used the "sock" as a pattern, the sock pattern was just a straight tube, top to bottom, although when I sewed this fabric the same for these chairs they were a little too big at the top so I had to taper them down at the top of the chair ONLY . . . you need the width for the bottom so you can slip it over the seat of the chair!



Here are some of the simple directions:

I used 4 yards of fabric (1 yard per chair); the best measurement (around) is to measure the seat of the chair and go by that as the widest part then taper it down at the top of the chair (this can be adjusted after you get your width at the bottom).  I serged all seams.

Step One:  Cut the fabric (yes let Kenzie sit on it, she's going to anyways)












Step Two:  Sew the BACK seam



Step Three: open up the TOP of the chair cover and fold the fabric so that the seam is now in the MIDDLE of the BACK



Step Four:  Sew the top shut

Step Five: fold over the corners and serge them off (about 1 inch)





Step Six: Tuck in all threads

Step Seven:  Go over the seam in the back one more time

Step Eight:  Place on the Chairs


See how the seam is in the back ! ! !
VOILA

This was a fun SUPER EASY project that anyone can do - you just need the right needle in your sewing machine for knit fabrics especially if you are going to serge; if you are going to use a straight stitch (conventional sewing machine) I would highly recommend that you stretch as you sew. 

One more tidbit . . . I did not sew the open edge at the bottom (the part that slips over the seat first - remember the top is sewn closed) - so because I used a knit fabric I just used the salvage edge; when it's tucked under (kind of) and ruched it made a hem unnecessary.

TOTAL COST:  $16.00 (fabric is a stretch knit and was $4.00/yard) - I already had the thread from the last project I sewed for sissy poo (the slipcovered ottoman with the pom poms)
TOTAL TIME:  2 HOURS

Oh Dear Lord there's the doorbell - my bride has arrived - wedding gown  next! ! ! !

2 comments:

  1. i have two chairs exactly like this and would like you to show me how to make this - like sit me down and show me - since i'm sewing impaired.

    i love that print, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl - you are welcome to come by my place any time and I'll give you all the sewing lessons you want - just bring wine (red preferred)!

      Delete