Saturday 18 May 2013

Decorating Rant . . .

As most of you know I've been crafting, sewing and decorating most of my adult life (and some of my life prior to that).  I have also taken many years out of my life to attend school and become a certified decorator and construction technologist. 

I have always prided myself on making something out of nothing ... but NOTHING makes ME more crazy than someone asking me for advice and expecting it for free . . . and don't get me wrong, I'll give family and close friends any advice they want for free AND I'll give it to you, but don't be pissed off if you don't hear what you want to or you get far less than you asked for . . . I know this is going to be a rant . . . but . . .  after looking at one of my favourite websites today where you can post pictures and ask for free advice I saw a post from someone who was angry about some advice they were given when asked "what should I do in this space".

If you ask for an opinion from a designer/decorator, you're likely to get it in a number of different ways; there are those who "know it all" - move this wall, add this expensive piece of furniture, NO, you won't be using THAT colour, NO you can't have that, NO I will not have any part of my name attached to that; and there are others who are ON YOUR SIDE and try and give you what they think you are looking for ... just remember when you are soliciting advice for free you're going to get the gammit; you are getting ideas from their head (and some of us are also just super creative and think outside the box) so for some of you it's hard to understand because you're not really getting anything "tangible" even if you are paying your decorator/designer top dollar; if you don't like the response and you got it for free, MOVE ON; if you're paying for advice and you didn't get what you wanted, ASK AGAIN we can usually come up with a solution.  We have access to all kinds of discounts at all kinds of stores and suppliers.  You can often SAVE money by using a designer (or even technically get their advice for free if you are using those discounts being offered).

If you have a space (and a picture) and you'd like my unsolicited opinion, I'll gladly try and help you just remember the advice you are getting for free is not going to be substantive.  If you need to hire me I have reasonable rates and will travel to all corners of the City of Edmonton, including Sherwood Park, Leduc and St. Albert; heck I'll even travel to Calgary and surrounding area for a price!

No comments:

Post a Comment