Friday 10 May 2013

And the chairs FINALLY have a new home

A while back I acquired these two lovely chairs from a sale that was happening in our office for $10.00 . . . I actually had one of the guys in that department keep an eye on them to see if anyone else was bidding on them and they weren't so I "WON" so to speak . . . yes I know it's hard to believe but I do find a bargain now and again . . . ok who's kidding who here . . . I ALWAYS try and get a bargain or I don't buy it - it's either really reasonably priced or I get the drigs from other people for FREE! AND I LOVE IT!


After "sitting" on them for a while and being inspired by something I saw in a magazine I decided I wanted to spray paint them a really wild colour and cover the seats with something a bit more subtle to juxtapose (or offset) the bright colour.

So I lightly sanded the chairs and then spray painted them leaving a day in between for drying time; then sewed piping on to the fabric and glued down the foam and then stapled the fabric down the same way it came off.  (This was a simple upholstery job and I just used the pattern from the old fabric when I took it off to cut the new fabric.)

If you've been reading my blogs . . . you will know that I always go to the clearance section at my favourite fabric store and found EXACTLY what I was looking for - I wanted something "aztek" looking and I found it . . . it always seems to happen when I'm focussed . . . because if you knew me, if I'm not doing these types of things I'm not focussed at all . . .

Here is the after!  they've sat in my basement for over a year and are now  headed to Radium, BC to settle into their new home (a condo recently purchased by my sister and her hubby - hopefully there's a free stay in my future).



I'll post further pics when they are finally settled!

TOTAL COST:  $10.00 for the chairs; $25.00 for the foam and fabric
TOTAL TIME:  5 separate days (not complete days but a couple for deconstruction, a couple for paint and dry in between coats, and one day for sewing the cushions and reattaching them to the chairs)

No comments:

Post a Comment